Thu, 13 Oct|
Free compost giveaway day
We're giving away free bags of compost. First come, first served!
Time & Location
13 Oct 2022, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Beautification Trust, 38 Holmes Road, Manurewa, Auckland 2102, New Zealand
About the Event
We're giving away free bags of compost on Thursday 13 October, from 9am to 3pm at 38 Holmes Road, Manurewa.
This wonderful 'black gold' was made from food scraps collected in the Papakura kebrside collection. It's a great way to give your garden a nutrient boost.
First come, first served! Maximum two bags per person while stocks last.
- We ask that you fill your own bags of compost when you pick them up. If you would have difficulty filling your own bags, please let us know so our team can assist you.
- Reusable bags will be provided for you to load your compost. If you can, please bring your own dust mask, reusable gloves and shovel. We will have these items available if you don’t have your own.
Special thanks to the Auckland Council Waste Solutions team for funding this project and to the fantastic coffee roasting businesses who have donated their used coffee sacks to use as compost bags.
Compost may contain micro-organisms, which on rare occasions, can cause illness in humans such as legionellosis (Legionnaire’s disease). Infections can be serious, especially for the elderly and those with reduced immunity.
To reduce the risk of contracting Legionnaire’s disease, please take the following precautions:
- Open the bags of compost in a well-ventilated area. Open the bags slowly and direct the opening away from your face
- Avoid inhaling the compost, the use of a face mask or respirator is recommended
- Always wear gloves when working with compost and wash your hands afterwards
- Water compost gently, using a low-pressure hose
- Seek medical advice if you develop high fever, chills, breathlessness or cough